ETA Visas: Information to Know Before you Visit Australia

Australia ETA Information

If you are visiting Australia within the next 12-months, then you may have questions about your travel or visa needs. This page is here to help you with all your questions, whether you already have a visa or not.

If you simply want to apply for your visa, head to our visa services main page to get started. There, you will see eligibility and other important information.

On this page, you'll find:

  • Frequently Asked Questions about visa, passport, travel, and service related topics.
  • Understand what is listed on your visa
  • Learn how to view and/or verify your recently issued visa

Lastly, if your visa has already been issued, learn how to make a change to your ETA or extend your stay beyond the 3-months.

Australian ETA (FAQ)

Visa Related Questions

An ETA, or Electronic Travel Authority, is an electronic version of a travel visa, and is required for entrance into Australia.

Unlike a traditional paper visa, the ETA is electronically linked to your passport and can be obtained online. An ETA permits travel into and within Australia for up to 3-months, and permits multiple entries into the country within its 12-month validity period.

Other than New Zealand citizens, it is required that all travelers secure a visa for Australia prior to departure. If you are eligible for an ETA, then you may apply online with us. However, not every country is eligible for an ETA.

The countries eligible for an ETA are:










Hong Kong





South Korea









United Kingdom*

United States

If you are not carrying a passport from one of the above countries, please visit the Department of Home Affairs website here to determine which visa is suitable for your needs.

You will want to apply as soon as you choose Australia as your destination. Please visit when should you apply for an ETA page for more information.

Yes. If you are visiting Australia as a tourist, or wish to visit family or friends, then an ETA, or Electronic Travel Authority, permits you to enter Australia. You are also permitted to temporarily study or conduct business activities for less than 3-months. However, work or opening a bank account is not permitted.

Passport holders of the following countries may apply online for an ETA:

Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong SAR, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, and United States can apply are eligible to apply online.

Other nationalities, use DHA's visa finder.

These two types of visas are commonly mistaken for each other, but the two differ. Compare the difference between an ETA and eVisitor

If you wish to work in Australia, a working holiday visa is required. Please see the Department of Home Affairs website visa finder to find out the details of other types of visas. An ETA tourist visa does not permit work.

Yes. You can apply for a visa if one has yet to expire. The new visa issue date will be automatic, on the day your current visa expires. The visa will be valid for 12-months from the day we submit your request.

You can use our free online service to check for an existing ETA, and we will notify you if you already have a current visa.

Yes, travelers of all ages are required to obtain an ETA prior to departing for Australia. If your child or children are linked to your passport, you still need to submit individual applications.

You do not need to show a bank statement or proof of funds when entering Australia as a tourist if your planned stay is short term. If you obtain a tourist visa, or ETA, you will not need to bring a bank statement with you.

Some other longer term visas, which permit work or studies, may require you to show proof of funds when entering.

Service Questions

Our service cost is $9.95 for each applicant. There are no other fees or taxes. Compare this to the Department of Home Affairs, which charges $20.00 for their visa services.

All transactions are non-refundable.

Travel Questions

No, a plane ticket is not required. However, it's recommended that most travelers secure their Australian visa prior to purchasing a plane ticket, in case you are not approved. In some cases, you will be required to provide additional documentation to obtain a visa, and this process can take a few weeks.

With an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) visa, otherwise known as a subclass 601 visa, you are permitted to stay a maximum of 3 months.

You are permitted multiple entries within the 12-month validity period. However, if you wish to stay longer than 3 months on any one trip, then review your other visa options, which are available through the Department of Home Affairs, here.

If you are entering Australia for short term tourism purposes, then health insurance is not required. However, we do recommend it for those over 60 years old, as a precaution since as many health insurance providers do not cover traveling in foreign countries.

Passport Questions

Yes. If you have obtained a new passport, for whatever reason, then a new visa is required since the two are electronically linked together. You can apply online once you have your new passport available.

Please refer to our section on when to apply for an ETA for more information, since obtaining a new passport does not necessarily mean you will be approved immediately.

If you already have an ETA for Australia, the below ETA Help & Info section will help you understand more about your visa. If you would like to find or view an existing visa, click the View my ETA tab.

ETA Help & Info

Within 24 hours of applying with EasyETA, you will receive a confirmation email regarding your ETA visa status provided to us by the Australian Department of Home Affairs.

Because we have error checking both on our application and by our processing staff, over 94% of our customers will be approved for travel.

For all of our approved customers, we include your visa directly in our email, which appears similar to our sample image here.

Just note, it is important that all the elements of your visa are correct, so be sure to review them to ensure accuracy.

For those who are not approved, we will provide instructions on how you can be approved as quickly as possible. Although this is doesn't happen frequently, it can happen, and will require you to submit additional information to your local Australian visa office. This is why we recommend you apply early.

Sample visa above. Details may differ slightly.

ETA Details

The following is what appears on an ETA

  • Family Name
    Pre/Suffixes will not be listed (Jr,Sr,Bin/Binte,Mr/Mrs,S/O).
  • Given Names
    First, Second, any other given names listed on your passport, according to application guidelines.
    Note: Middle names should be included.
  • Passport
    Your passport number, nationality, and expiration date.
  • Date of Birth, Sex, COB
    Date of Birth, Sex (or, gender) as M/F, and Country of Birth listed in its 3-digit country code. Look up country codes.
  • Type of Travel
    T = Visitor/Tourist, B = Business Short-Validity
  • Entry Status
    Official response from the Department of Home Affairs.
  • Time Stamp
    This is the date and time of when your visa was issued by the government.
  • Authority to Enter
    This is the last date you may enter Australia. You are permitted to stay beyond this date, but not beyond the 3 months.

Making Changes to Your Visa

Need to Fix a Mistake?

If some of the information listed on your visa needs to be changed, we can fix it within 30 days of issue date. Please note there is a $3.95 charge for re-processing.

Make Changes to my ETA

Note: If you have a new passport, then a new visa is required.

Extending Your Stay in Australia

Want to Stay Longer?

As mentioned on our website, an ETA visa is valid for 3-months of travel within Australia. However, you may apply for a longer visit either before or after you've obtained an ETA. Click below for details.

Within Australia

Option 1.

You may apply for an e600 extension through the Department of Home Affairs. This visa usually permits an extension to either 6-months or 12-months total stay. Contact an Australian visa office for more information.

Option 2.

Since an ETA permits multiple entries into Australia, you are permitted to exit, then re-enter Australia as long as you are outside the country for several days, and you can show proof of exit upon your return.
(proof = plane ticket)

Outside of Australia

Most ETA eligible passport holders are also able to apply for a visitors visa, which permits 6-month or 12-month visits to Australia. However, note the price is significantly higher and the turnaround time can vary, but generally takes 2-4 weeks. You may also want to use the 'Find a Visa' tool to see about longer-term visa alternatives. Contact an Australian visa office for more information.

Applying for an Australian ETA Online

Ready to Apply?

If you plan on visiting Australia in the next 12 months, you can apply today!

Apply Now

View my ETA

(Or check if you have one)

If you have received a confirmation email from us, then you are now approved to travel to Australia. However, some customers wish to verify their visa. This is NOT necessary, but the following information will walk you through how you can do so prior to your departure.

Not a Customer? Check for free.

If you are unsure if you have an Australian visa, then we are happy to check for you.

Head to our page dedicated to how to verify an ETA online page. Within hours, we will confirm if you already have an existing visa (ETA or non-ETA) or not. This service is FREE and provided by us at EasyETA.

Visa Grant Number

EasyETA Customers Only

Upon EasyETA processing your visa, we will be given an ETA Grant Number by the Department of Home Affairs. If you wish to request this number, please email us at with your passport number, and we will forward this to you. This will allow you to verify your visa on the Department's website using the VEVO system.

IMPORTANT: If you already have an existing visa that has not yet expired, the VEVO system will not identify the newly issued grant number until your current visa expires.

Option 1

Accessing VEVO: Visit the Department of Home Affairs VEVO system.

1. Under dropdown menu, select passport.

2. Match the following settings, but include your grant number (provided by us), date of birth, and passport number.
NOTE: We can only provide grant numbers to EasyETA customers.

Option 2

If you have difficulty with the VEVO steps above, you can always confirm the status of your visa using any of the following third parties.

3rd-Party Verification

  • Any Australian Embassy
  • Travel Agents
  • Any of the global Australian Visa Offices.
  • Your Airline
  • Or, by emailing
Reference Numbers

A reference number is used by the government as an order number for users to check the status of their visa. However, this is not provided to users who apply through a visa specialist, airline, or travel agent.

As mentioned above, we can provide a grant number, which can be used to view your visa on the Home Affairs website.

2021 EasyETA