Visa Questions | Travel Questions | Rules and Requirements

An ETA, or Electronic Travel Authority, is an electronically stored authority for travel to Australia, and is accessible by airlines, visa service companies, travel agents and Australian border agencies.

An ETA is 100% electronic, which allows you to visit Australia without the need to apply through a departmental office for a traditional paper visa.

An ETA is required for people who are outside Australia and want to visit Australia for tourism or business purposes. It is required for many nationalities around the world.

For a full list of ETA-eligible nationalities, click here.

If you are not from an ETA-eligible country, you can apply online through the government for a different type of visa through the Department of Home Affairs, or through a different visa specialist company.

You can apply as early as 12 months before your arrival into Australia. We always recommend applying in advance, just in case your visa is not approved, you will have time to contact an Australian embassy or visa office to resolve the issue.

To avoid travel delays, we generally recommend you purchase your visa at least 2 weeks in advance. In this case, you can choose Standard processing, and we will have your visa sent over within 24 hours.

Note: If you are departing within 24 hours, we can help you too. Just look for our urgent services (20-minute) option on the visa application.

The cost varies depending on whether you are traveling for tourism or business, and whether or not it's an urgent (<24hr) request. The standard cost per tourist visa is $9.95 USD/EUR, £7.50 GBP, or $12.95 SGD. Urgent (rush) services cost $50.

If you are visiting Australia for business purposes, then a business ETA costs $14.95 USD.

Note: There are no taxes, fees, or additional government surcharges.

Normal Processing

We typically have visas processed and approved and confirmations sent out within a few hours. Depending on the time zone, time of day, and when the passport information was submitted, it can take up to, but not exceed 24 hours.

Urgent Processing

Urgent Requests take just 20-minutes, and are required if you are applying within 24 hours of departure.

No. Anytime a new passport is issued to you, whether your visa was lost, stolen, or expired, a new visa is required.

Amendments cannot be made to existing visas to accomodate the new passport since the two are electronically linked together. If you have a new passport, you can re-apply here.

No. You do not need to arrange your transportation into the country before applying for an ETA. Whether you are traveling by boat or plane, it's okay to apply for your ETA anytime before or after your confirmed ticket.

An ETA allows multiple trips into Australia, so long as the maximum stay on any given visit is less than 3 months (not 90-days).

If you leave for another country, then you may return to Australia as long as your ETA and passport are still valid. However, It is up to immigration officials to determine if you are trying to manipulate the system, so we recommend contacting an embassy if you are concerned with returning too soon.

A general guideline is you need to be out of the country for 2+ weeks before returning, otherwise you may look into obtaining a subclass 600 visa instead of an ETA, which may permit you to stay longer in Australia. Just note, that the cost is ~ $115.00.

Airlines, travel agents, cruise companies, and immigration officials all have similar systems which allow them to run an inquiry on your visa status.

Once you are approved by EasyETA, all of your name and passport information will then be active and valid in the Electronic Travel Authority immigration system. The airline or cruise company will then swipe your passport at check-in, electronically verifying your visa status in the ETA system.

Additional information on verifying visa validity, visit our visa verification page.

For more information on how the complete check-in process works, feel free to read through the Advanced Passenger Processing guide here, which is used by the airline to retrieve your visa information.

You will need to apply for a visa which allows for a longer stay (6-12 months) from your nearest Australian migrant office. A Tourist Visa (subclass 600) may be a good alternative if you plan on staying longer than 90 days in the country, but you will have to pay a much higher premium for those rights.

If you think it's unlikely that you will stay in the country longer than 3 months, then you can also start with an ETA, then apply for a Tourist Visa extension (subclass 600) and extend your stay while in Australia. Just keep in mind that pricing and rules are always changing.

If your stay in Australia is longer than 72 hours, you will need to apply for a tourist visa (ETA). If you are simply transiting through the airport, it is likely you do not need a transit visa.

Please visit this page, by the Department of Immigration, which lists more transit visa information.

Yes. Children of all ages, who are traveling with you, will need to obtain a visa.

Yes. After your visa is issued, you may enter Australia for up to 12 months. Your 3-month allowance will begin once you enter the country, and can go beyond that 12-months, so long as you enter by the time the visa expires.

For a full list of the requirements, click here.

No. You must visit an Australian consulate or embassy to see about obtaining a visa which allows employment in Australia.

If you passport is about to expire (within 6 months), you should check with an Australian embassy to see if you are still allowed to visit the country. Your best and only option may be to obtain a new passport.

An ETA is valid for 12 months from the date it is granted or the expiry date of your passport, whichever comes first.

No. Anytime a new passport is issued to you, whether your visa was lost, stolen, or expired, a new visa is required.

Amendments cannot be made to existing visas to accomodate the new passport since the two are electronically linked together. If you have a new passport, you can re-apply here.

You must not have any criminal convictions, for which the sentence or sentences (whether served or not) are for a total period of 12 months duration or more, at the time of travel to, and entry into, Australia.

If you do have criminal convictions that are a concern to you, then it's best to apply for a subclass 600 tourist visa here.

No. Once your visa is issued, however, it will be active and valid for 12 full months. Your 3 month visit will need to begin within that 12 month period.

Simply put, it does not matter if you apply far in advance, so long as you plan on entering Australia within 12 months of your application date.